Saturday, 2 April 2011

My bloody knee


It's fair to say that the Hastings Half almost finished my running exploits. The 3 mile step descent has aggrivated an old knee injury & I saw the Surgeon & have to go under the knife again probably between London & Edinburgh marathons

I went with Wendy & Marcella to do a 20 mile run last weekend & was in so much pain that I stopped after 8 miles. I have not run since!! However I have used the cross trainer & also the spin bikes & this has seemed to stabalise my knee. I have also decided that after Edinburgh I will not do any more marathons. I too old, too fat & my knee just isn't up to it!!

The day I bugged out!!

Today I went back to my real passion & dusted down my bike & went with Sandra & did a 30 mile ride up & over Biggin Hill & it felt good to be back in the saddle again. I have not lost my endurance, but was markable slower on the bike, but I suppose it's probably getting on for 6 months since my last long ride



Our rather hilly route

I've now resigned myself to the fact that I will finish London & Edinburgh & I don't really care about the time. All I want to do is beat my New York time & I'm aiming for around 6 hours. Still not a bad feat for someone of 19 stones??

Looking ahead, I've just booked to cycle from Mallin to Mizen in July. For those of you unaware it's the Lands End to John O'Groats of Ireland. I do however have to break in my new saddle, which so far has been remarkably comfortable

My new Brooks saddle......rock hard leather!!

I am completing in the Darford 10 miler tomorrow & instead of worrying about a time, I am just going to enjoy myself & trot round at a nice gentle pace.... watch this space for pics tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment